Saturday, July 26, 2008

American History for 5th Graders

So it's about that time that I start looking to what were are doing for school for 2008-09. Olivia will be in 5th Grade this year so that means American History. Yeah! I love history but I have to remember to keep it simple. Since I believe in using living books versus text books here are some thoughts. I want to read lots of biographies. And I also want to include some good literature in the mix that is American History related. Here's what I have so far:

History Biography Ideas:

Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire books (Lief Erickson, Columbus, Pocahontas, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Buffalo Bill)
Abigail Adams
Thomas Jefferson
Benjamin Franklin
Lewis and Clark
Harriet Tubman
Daniel Webster
"Stonewall" Jackson
Susan B Anthony
Katie Stanton
Theodore Roosevelt
Truman (I can't think of his first name right now-aghhh)
FDR & Eleanor Roosevelt
Martin Luther King, JR
Rosa Parks
Niel Armstrong
Ronald Reagan

Literature Ideas:
Paul Revere's Ride
The Sacketts
Johnny Tremain
Guns for General Washington
Blood on the River: James Town 1607
Declaration of Independence
Bill of Rights
Constitution


How far forward will I go? I guess that's something to think about. I personally want to spend more time on The Founding Fathers than anything. I'd like Olivia to be able to at least recognize all the Presidents of the USA. (I'll have to think about the memorization of all of them. That would be idealistic. Mmm)

4 comments:

Olivia said...

I hope we can get though five, It'll take all my time to finish all those, it'll be like i'm a scholar. with all of those on my hands.

Idaho Sutters said...

You're funny and you're cute. We won't read a whole book about about each one, we'll just learn about each one. So don't worry, it'll be okay. And we might not get to some of them like you said...

Olivia said...

I don't even know who half those people are! I guess that'll change

Idaho Sutters said...

That's the point my dear...