Friday, October 3, 2008

Scholar Book Review

Les Misérables Les Misérables by Victor Hugo



My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book was amazing! I don't think it was my favorite book of all time, but it is certainly up there.

I read the Unabridged version. I think that I will recommend the abridged version to my children for their first read. I think this book with be one of the core books in our family as our children get older.

I think this book as layer after layer of depth to it. I would like to read it again and explore the characters Valjean and Marius more closely. This is a book that you need to read again and again. With each reading uncovering more great treasures.

For me the crowing splendor of this book is simply the words on the page. It is just beautiful and refreshing to my mind down to my inner soul. This is the type of book you read and you walk away changed and illuminated.

I struggled with the French. I know absolutely no French. In my translation there were a lot of words that were not translated and I had no idea what they were talking about. I also struggled with the French names and locations. I'm sure further reading would add clarity to some of these. Occasionally I mixed some of them up as I read through it.

I highly recommend this book!

View all my reviews.

2 comments:

rneweyfamily said...

I loved the poetry of the book. I would find myself writing down quotes that I especially liked. Unfortunately I did not quite finish the book as my attention in high school, although I loved to read, often went to other things like boys and drama. I definately want to read it again and all the way through.

Becca said...

Hey, I have been enjoying your blog. Found you on LDFR.com. Just wanted to let you know I am here reading! Oh, and do you mind that I put a link on my blog so I can access it easier?
http://beccafarley.blogspot.com