Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Compass and the Binder

One of the Ingredients to a Leadership (TJED) Education is the compass. (see Leadership Education Ingredient #16) This is simply a list of goals and things you would like to learn in the next six months. Since we just rang in the new year now is a perfect time to get everyone in your family their own compass. Ideally you place these goals in a sheet protector in their own binder.

Also included in the binder could be a "skills list." This idea is generated from Diann Jeppson. For example in cooking your child can list ten things he wants to learn to make in the next six months. For my boys we've started out very basic. (canned soup, macaroni and cheese, scrambled eggs, etc) Other skills classes could be: sewing, car repair, food storage, shopping, laundry, cleaning, etc. You shouldn't take for granted that your children know these things!

This binder would also include artwork, papers, lists of books read, etc.

So far only 3 out of the 6 of us have our compasses done. I am one of them in an effort to "inspire, not require" the little dears. Some of my goals are to continue reading the 100 Great books. My next books to tackle are Herodotus and Thucydides. I'm taking piano lessons again! I'm going to crack open that old math textbook. A life skill goal that I have is to perfect making wheat bread.

Now is a good time to think about organization.

3 comments:

Celeste B. said...

I love it! Are there specific topics you list on your compass or does everyone decide on their own areas? I have not read too much about the compass. Where did you read/kearn about it?

Love you blog theme!

Idaho Sutters said...

I've edited it to include the reference! Thanks Celeste.

Celeste B. said...

Thanks Deanna, I'm glad you reminded me of what it was. My brain is not filing things like I wish it would. ;-)