Sunday, January 17, 2010

The "deslobbed" child.

Here is a core phase thought. This is something we do in our home.

At the beginning of the day all members are expected to be at breakfast table at 8:30 A.M. with their Big 5 done. (The big 5 correlates to changing out of p.j.'s/putting them away, brushing teeth (this is actually done after breakfast), fixing hair, making bed, and saying personal prayers. After you have done your Big 5 you get a high 5).

I'm kind of Nazi about what I call "deslobbing" yourself for the day. I think that even though we are home all day we can still wear something besides sweats and pjs all day. We can put on shoes. (Think Fly Lady-some will know what I mean). We can fix our hair, and mom can wear make-up if she chooses.

There is an exception to every rule of course! You know when those exceptions are. Every once in a while I'll say we can have a "slobbed out day." That probably doesn't sound the best, but I want to teach them it's right to get up and get dressed and its wrong to (always) slob around. (your husband will love it) I find that everyone is more motivated when dressed for the day instead of in their pj's.

Okay, I really need to step on to my soap box at this point. We'll I guess this whole post is a soap box, it's going to get worse for minute. What is it will home school kids always being in sweats? It seems that a great many large gatherings of home school children that I've been to I have seen a great number of children in sweats. I mean come on! If we want to be leaders let's start dressing like them!

And that's the point. Know matter what your dress codes are, let us remember to dress the part of what we really want.

2 comments:

crazy4boys said...

I'm laughing at this because one of my kids is a sweat pants kids. He's morally opposed to jeans. Drives us crazy!!! Only within the last year would he even put a pair of normal pants on. But slowly, slowly, he's changing.

April Mitchell said...

I agree dressing the part is half the battle, although I do love sloppy at home days. It is one of my pet peeved to see other homeschool families out in public dressed and looking sloppy.