Monday, February 22, 2010

A Classic

This is just a short ramble.... I could look up the answers in my TJED book but I'm just brainstorming on the computer (and that would mean I'd have to get up and go get my TJED book).

I'm just finishing up a book right now that in it's present form doesn't make the classic list. It's a book I need to give a review to my brother-in-law about because well, he wrote it! It has some great potential, but it needs some direction. All books do I'm sure at the beginning.

So I've been thinking, what makes a classic? Obviously this is personal opinion and each person has their own classics and their own core set of truth. Here's some of my thoughts:
  • What is right/wrong or good/bad is established. How is it established? In Jane Eyre she was pursuing truth through out the whole book. At the end she made a decision about her absolute truth. In Louis L'Amour books the good is the man who protects his women, respects the land and improves his mind. In Lord of the Rings wrong is the Eye (I don't remember how to spell his name) who want to force all to bend to his will and be under his rule.
  • The "good" characters stay true to their roles. For me I want the women in the classics I read to be feminine. I want them to honor their role as nurturer and wife. I want them to consider this their highest calling. I want the men in classics to recognize their role as protector, provider and presider. I don't want to read about macho women who have gender confusion. I don't want them say it's a truth for them to enter into the work force and prove that they are better then men. Again Jane Eyre and Louis L'Amour are the perfect examples. Other examples include Pride and Prejudice, Little Dorritt, The Odyssey, and Little Britches.
  • The main characters seek to over come their human nature. In my classics I want the protagonist to seek to over come their human flaws and recognize the divine truth that they can over come obstacles. They don't give up. They pursue truth.
  • Those who make wrong choices face natural laws. I'm not going to read a book and consider it a classic where selfish characters break a natural law and no repercussion occurs. It's a natural law that if you leave your family it's going to come to a bad end. I don't want to read in a book that those who break core truths end up having everything turn out all right. That would make the book false. When you do something wrong characters still must face reality. Like I said, that would be false. I read for truth. I don't need a happy ending, I just want to truth up held.

My Top Literature Classics:

Jane Eyre
A Tale of Two Cities
Les Miserables
The Sacketts
Lonesome Gods
The Iliad
The Odyssey
The Ranger's Apprentice (Total boy classic)
Pride and Prejudice
A Wrinkle in Time
The Hiding Place

There ends my thoughts. I could be watching the Olympics, but I'm randomly timing on the computer. What does that mean? I don't care about Ice Dancing or I'm obsessed with reading/thinking about classics?

No comments: