Friday, April 2, 2010

Books from 2009 -2010

At the back of all my journals, (which I write in religiously everyday), I write down the books that I've read (not the picture books that I read to Caleb though) during that journal's time period. I feel like Louis L'Amour in "Education of a Wandering Man" I suppose. I started my current journal on 1/1/2009. From then until today I have read 153 books, I think I'm slowing down- but I'm reading harder classics. Of those books 20 were Greek classics written over 2,500 years ago. I thought I'd write down some notables. Feel free to look up my reviews on my goodreads.com account.

Favorites:
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Iliad by Homer
The Odyssey by Homer
Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan
Trojan Women by Euripides
Approaching Zion by Hugh Nibly

Books the Boys Loved that I read to them:
The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull
The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
Greek Myths and the Trojan War by Usborne
Several from the Childhood of Famous American series
Greogor of the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
Alex Rider #1 by Anthony Horowitz
The Secret History of Tom Trueheart by Ian Beck
The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

A Waste of Time: (AVOID)
The Pretties series by Scott Westerfeld
The City of Ember
The Choice by Nicolas Sparks
City of Bones by Casandra Clare
The Lost Symbols by Dan Brown
Pretty much every goodreads.com book I won (11 of them!)
Stargirl series by Jerry Spinelli
35 Clues: Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan
Leven Thumps and the Secret of Foo

Books I reread that I had previously read-So I must really like them!: (books with asterisk I read more than once during the last 15 months).
Richest Man in Babylon by George Claswson
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Work and the Glory Series by Gerald Lund
Twilight series* by Stephanie Myers (no comments, I know)
Sackett's Land by Louis L'Amour
To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour
Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour
The Weigh Down Diet* by Gwen Schambers
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Thomas Jefferson Education* by Oliver DeMille
Leadership Education* by Oliver DeMille
Intelegro Math* by Tiffany Earl
Power of Full Engagement* by Jim Loehr
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Montgomery
Percy Jackson #1* by Rick Riordan

I hope the list gives you some good reading ideas!

No comments: