Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Sketch Book

There are so many good discussions going on here and on several other blogs I follow regarding the ebook Headgates! So fun to hear what you all have to say. I have really enjoyed several things, but I have certainly found several things that we will keep the way we already have them. (The Lego's and The Lord of the Rings series aren't going anywhere! : ) )

I've greatly reduced the art supplies and so they are no longer overwhelming. We no longer have a huge box of crayons-we have a little box of crayons! How many yellow crayons to we really need? My kids have never been much into art projects anyways. (Gee, I wonder why? Could it be because I loathe them? I've never found value in worthless crafts.) They do however thoroughly enjoy drawing one stick figure on a piece a paper with: "To Mom: I love you. Love, Luke" written on hundred pages.

So to solve this bunch of wasted papers and satisfy their desire to give me a love note I recently bought sketch pads for the kids. I told them how much I enjoyed all their love notes, but I kept loosing them and they were all over the place. So I said I wanted them to draw them in the sketch book. I wanted their best work and then when they were done they could give me the sketch book and this way I would be able to keep them always! I told them that whenever there was one they really wanted me to see all they had to do was show it to me. They were so excited. They all have enjoyed drawing pictures for me that I will get to keep forever. Luke told me he was excited that I wouldn't be able to loose them this way. He also said he liked just having one place to keep everything. Jared also has made nice little drawings that he wasn't interested in before. So simplifying our craft supplies as made them focus on real projects that are nice. Success!

We put up all their extra notebooks. They still have their names on them they are just in our empty closet so they are still here. They only get to have one notebook out to keep notes in and write whatever they want. They have really liked knowing where their books are and not feeling overwhelmed with all the paper.

I have found that has I've gotten rid of things that they are actually becoming happier, more productive, and better behaved. It's all really amazing.

For our family the fruits have been tremendous. While I haven't agreed with everything I have enjoyed the ideas generated and the discussions on all the blogs!

6 comments:

crazy4boys said...

I just did that today! I cleared out the 3 drawer cart and the bazillion pictures that were scattered all over. We now have 3 spiral bound sketch books on a shelf and right next to them 3 boxes stacked on top of each other (1 for markers, 1 for crayons and 1 for colored pencils). One of my boys is fairly artistic and he says he needs the various hues and shades to get pictures just right.

I'm so pleased with the amount of floor space I was able to reclaim. And the shelf is neat and orderly and takes up 1/12 the space it did before. My kids all love to draw and I love that this is a way to keep everything together.

KarenB said...

How wonderful. I love how you presented the idea to your children. I'm going to copy you and do the same thing. I kept several notebooks out for them, but I love the idea of just keeping one out at a time. Thanks!

Googs said...

I went to a class done by Keri Tibbets a few weeks ago and found many of the ideas in "The Headgates" inspiring and refreshing. I too, though, agree with you on keeping some things around that they suggest tossing like the legos and such.

My 2 year old will play for hours with his wooden train set and be amazingly imaginative with it. Sorry it stays. :)

Anaise said...

What a great idea! (As long as I can keep my kids from tearing the pages out anyway) In spite of trying to keep "special" boxes for their art treasures, paper is forever floating all over our house. I'm going to give the sketchbook a try.

Unknown said...

I love how you explained the sketchbook too. So lovely!

islandveggie said...

My 5 year old would just draw through the whole book in a couple sittings. I wonder if you should limit them to 1 book per month?