Friday, January 22, 2010

State Testing

I am happy to report that we are still plowing on course for a leadership education. There have been some bumps in the road but we are still on course! Yeah! The kids are happy, I'm happy, dad's happy....

There is one "thing" we still do though that has us occasionally showing up in the public school world. The dreaded state testing. I know several of you wonder why we are still doing it if we've chosen leadership education. It does seem contradictory.

  • The money. Sometimes things always come down to money, huh? We get several thousands dollars a year from the state to buy curriculum (if we test) of all sizes and shapes. We can get computers, internet, classic books, math books, games, art supplies, office supplies, copy paper, on line resources, magazine subscriptions, reading resources, music lessons, etc.
  • The accountability. Even though I'm a fairly motivated person it's nice to know that I have to keep inspiring, keep asking them to play games, and just plain keep going because I've got a report to fill out at the end of the month!
  • I still get to do everything my way. I just have to give a monthly report, a year end report and state test.
  • Testing is real world. In my husband's occupation he regularly has to take tests of all shapes and sizes from state testing, national testing and business testing. We just have to take tests in this world. So in our family we find it helpful to have them experience it.
  • Protection. In our world you never know when the law is going to come down on you. Since we are technically enrolled in a public school we feel a sense of protection.
Those are some of the reasons. I think it really depends on the family. Leadership education is family led, so we each get to structure our learning based on our own needs and desires as well as what we see in the future that our children need.

I also wanted to throw in that we don't practice to the test. We just show up and take the test. It's not a big deal. it's just what you do. No stress. Secure, Not Stressed (the 8th Key to Great Teaching).

I hope that answers some questions I've been getting. I love the personalization of home school. Homeschooling is the best!!!

1 comment:

Googs said...

Thanks for sharing, you make some good points. Good luck with your leadership education! Ginger