Thursday, April 29, 2010

Called on the Carpet

We own 80 acres and we are working on building a house and going Georgic. We want to have chickens, kitties, pigs, ducks, cows, horses, bunnies, orchards... you get the point. We've already started with some of those things.

Since we are going to do this Alex thought it would be great to get a head start. So he brought me home some farm eggs. Some friends have too many layers and they want to share with us. Gee honey, thanks! You see I have a problem. As much as I say I'm going Georgic (that's in the future so I can say I will) I have a gag reflex problem with farm eggs. Really bad.

I can eat almost anything. I love food and I'm not picky. (I question some kinds of meat though). Farm eggs though? Not good. Every time I crack a farm egg the gag reflex starts. Alex thinks it's hysterical. He's rolling on the floor as I struggle through my gagging and my eyes are watering as I cook breakfast. Why is that so funny? There is just something about having a chance of bloody eggs filled with beaks and feathers that trips me out. I've cracked into plenty of those. So in the past after I manage to cook the eggs I absolutely refuse to eat it. (Even in french toast and pancakes).

The solution. Apparently these eggs are not around a rooster so they don't have a chance of being fertilized unlike all the other eggs he's brought home in the past. So no blood, feathers, beaks, etc.

So now we have eggs again and I must deal with it. I'm fleeing to Zion and so I must eat the green eggs.

Day one-pancakes. That's safe. Luke made the pancakes while I was getting ready. It wasn't until after I ate them that I realized that I'd eaten them! I didn't even notice.

Day two-Luke decided to make scrambled eggs for breakfast. I had to face it then. They are much yellower/oranger (because those are words) than the store eggs. But I held my breath and dumped a bunch of salsa on them and ate them! So proud of myself. I haven't done day three yet. One day at a time. To Zion!

7 comments:

Mrs.Smith said...

Awesome! In time you may even find that you like the taste of rooster-less, farm fresh eggs better than the stale store bought ones.

We're city folk but found we could keep a few chickens even here. To Zion! We love it!

But then, I've never had the singular experience of cracking open a baby chicken. I'm sure it would make me gag, too. :/ Ick.

crazy4boys said...

I want chickens. And I don't want roosters (we have enough of those around here). I hope day 3 goes well!

rneweyfamily said...

My goal for our family is to because as self-sustaining as possible, also. We got baby chicks this year and we will keep a couple of laying hens, but all the roosters are going in the freezer.

KarenB said...

I would like chickens also, but my husband has this same gag reflex with fresh eggs. I've been buying some off of a neighbor lately though and he's getting used to them so maybe someday! I'll have to come visit you and see how it is done.

Lara said...

We had chickens for three years and I had trouble with the eggs too. They taste much eggier than what I was used to and they are tougher. I forced myself to eat them but I never got used to eating them boiled.

I never had a problem with finding baby chicks inside till last year when my daughter collected the eggs that a chicken was hatching and put them in the fridge. It's pretty disgusting to see the little half formed creatures sizzling on a hot skillet. I still have nightmares about that. Maybe that's one of the reasons we went vegan.

Celeste B. said...

I can't point fingers, I can't stand touching raw chicken meat...it is slimy and just yucky. I can touch beef and pork all I want and it doesn't bother me at all.

I miss our laying hens. **sniff** **sniff** I don't miss cleaning up after them though. ;-)

Debra said...

Okay I am laughing out loud about your egg post. Someone gave us a dozen farm fresh eggs and I wanted to just throw them in the garbage but I thought that is silly just use them. So I made boiled egg sandwiches and I could only eat half the sandwich and I thought I just might throw up. It is all mental I know but man I just couldn't do it. So I used it in
cookies and other things that I wouldn't notice and I did throw the last few away I couldn't take it any more.

Thanks for making me laugh sister!