Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Ugly

Right now I'm trying to be a better provident provider. Not because I have to be and not because I don't know how but because I feel impressed to be. Just because I've acquired the skills sets to make wheat into meat, make wheat bread, sew a skirt, and I've faithfully attended every homemaking doesn't mean I don't need to PRACTICE. That's a dirty little word.

I've also felt impressed that while I might not need it my children will need to do it. I need to raise them to so that they can make or do anything if they were cut off from the outside world. (We are fleeing Babylon remember). Right now my friend's daughter is learning to make soap. Very cool.

So one thing I've been doing lately is making a quilt. Our master bed needed a blanket because the one on it is a twin size. (The dog ate the other one. Don't ask more). Alex and I tend to play tug a war at night. So instead of going to the store and taking the EASY way out I decided to sew myself up a nine patch quilt. I have a big tub of scrap material.

I haven't made my own quilt from start to finish since I made one for a laurel project 45 years ago. (Okay it really wasn't that long ago). Have I mentioned that I don't like to sew? Well I don't. It's a painful horrible process for me. But I can do it if I have to. I'm hoping that since I don't have to make it and I just 'want' to make it that I'll get more blessings. (Not be commanded in all things....He that is a slothful and unwise servant...)

So I've cut all the quilt blocks and I've sewn about 1/4 of it together. So far the blessing is that I haven't minded it. Since I've gotten rid of all my extra books, all the extra clutter and all the other extra's I'm freed up and so it's not a stressful thing to sew. AND all the clutter dejunking left more than ample room to set up the sewing machine and leave it up. So it stares at me. Beckons me on. Okay, it doesn't talk to me, but it does stare at me. It's like a dare. "I dare you sew on me."

Now a word about the quilt. It's really, really ugly. I didn't not want to spend any money or any mental anguish to make it match. It's impossible to match it anyway. It is a true pioneer 9-patch hodge podge of the last 13 years of kids pajamas, curtains, etc. So I'm not going to show you a picture. Maybe the finished product. Maybe. I see all my friends and others display their beautiful quilts on line. Mine's not like that. (Have I made that point yet?)

I've decided that mine is my pioneer quilt. Since it goes under the bedspread it will work nicely. I'm doing it in memory of my Grandma Ward who believed in practical things. And this is practical. And it's ugly.

Later, when I'm ambitious I'm going to make a beautiful bedspread and name it after Grandma Hancock. She made things beautiful.

I had smart grandmas. I'm finally starting to get it.

6 comments:

crazy4boys said...

Now I need to see a picture!!! I think it's great that it's ugly because too often we think if it's not the best, the most perfect, then it's not worth doing. Too often we don't even begin the project because we can't 'do it as well' as someone else. Good for you. Thank you for the example and inspiration.

Angela S said...

Great job! I don't think I've ever made anything that someone wasn't sitting over helping me with. But last summer I started hand piecing a quilt as a form of pain management. It is paper pieced and has about 2000 hexagons on it. Not only has it enabled me to sit through church and be off pain meds but I'm making a quilt for our bed. It is wonderful knowing that someone as not crafty as me can do something so functional.

Celeste B. said...

LOL! It sounds a lot like my experiences in making quilts. The only good-looking one I helped with was my oldest daughter's jean quilt for one of her YW projects...and she took that one with her!

We are saving jeans for another quilt for my next daughter. I kind of dread thinking about it!

rneweyfamily said...

I wondered when I read you were making a quilt what your motivation was since I know you don't like sewing. I do enjoy sewing and I like knowing that I can provide clothes and bedding for my family without going to the store.

Now if I would just de-junk so that I can think a little better life would be good. The kids are strongly resisting but I know that when I get rid of things most of the time they don't even miss it or realize it's gone if they don't see it leave.

Googs said...

It may be ugly to look at, but think of what you said it is made of, " kids pajamas, curtains, etc." these are things that are from the history of your life! I think it is a historical story in progress. Good luck and keep at it!

Cassandra said...

Quilting is so rewarding! I love it. Good luck with your quilt! I'm sure your family will find it beautiful because of the sentiments attached.