Friday, May 7, 2010

Family Work Efforts

A couple of days ago I made good on my idea to make some casseroles for the elderly. I've been reminded lately in my studies that service is such an important aspect in keeping our covenants. That day, for part of work, I read them the first several versus of section 105 in the Doctrine and Covenants and we talked long and hard about caring for the poor and the needy. Then we talked about how we could do a better job of that. They were really excited to learn we would be making food that day for some elderly people.



After our meeting we did a couple of quick jobs around the house. Then we started in on the food. I'm kind of obsessive about keeping the kitchen clean as you go along so I had a lot of opportunities to teach and model that! haha. As Olivia would say, "You're doing good mom. Keep breathing." We made yummy Saxapahash which is a baked/layered spaghetti casserole. This is a family favorite. For all my vegan friends out there don't look at the pictures! We also made a bunch of cookies that we froze for a bake food sale fundraiser for 4-H.


So my thought today is: how can you add service to your home education/family life?


4 comments:

Googs said...

What a great service! How did you find elderly that are in need of dinners? I can think of some elderly people or couples we go to church with, but they are able bodied. Great job!

Ranee said...

That looks yummy! I feel like something like this is just around the corner for our family! I am busy trying to teach the kids how to work hard, and then I want to teach them about the "true rewards" that can come from hard work and service as a family! :D)

Donna said...

It does not need to be elderly that need meals. Sick neighbors or even ones who are going through a lot can use a meal and a caring heart. Perhaps they are getting home from a long trip, it would be nice if someone said, I'll bring you dinner that night.

Other service our kids have done have been:
* taking out and bringing in trash cans for the widows
* weeding
* we have helped cater weddings
* tending children so a mom can go to the temple, or an appointment
* sharing garden produce
* pruning and clearing branches and twigs
* family history work. I would take one child at a time and work with them one-on-one.

Back to meals. It is nice to make a variety and freeze. They are there to serve others. Sometimes that means unexpected guests. Sometimes it is a welcome to the neighborhood. Sometimes it a sick mommy. Sometimes it is a mommy struggling to take care of sick family members. Sometimes there is a death, a wedding, or a missionary coming and going, and a little help with a meal becomes a great blessing. Ah, yes and the elderly:)

I loved your post! You are spot on!

rneweyfamily said...

Becky brought us a saxaphash casserole after I had Rachel and it was super yummy! I have the recipe and I just need to try and make it myself now.