Thursday, May 6, 2010

Family Work-Headgates

In my pursuit of truth I have really found something beautiful in The Heatgates article. There were many things in this article that have been impactful. I'm grateful for other people who are pursuing truth and are willing to share it.

I haven't been all that good at administering family work in the past. Sure I've had the required "chore charts" that all good mothers must have and they take their turn doing the dishes. Yes, they clean their room, but they really weren't working. After reading the Headgates article I realized that I need to get them to work "their little britches off" to quote Lara Gallagher.

So we made a few changes. It's been over a month now so I feel like I can report on this little exercise. So far the results have been.................life changing. That sounds a little extreme but really they have been. Today, for example, I asked my 10 year son, who had already been cleaning for an hour, to go clean all the doors in the house and I showed him how. He said, "Sure mom, no problem." Not only did he clean them, but he really cleaned them and didn't fake his way through. I asked him how he was doing part way through and he said, "Good, but I can't get this part of that door clean. I'm really sorry. What would you like me to do about it?" Then when he was done he came and "returned and reported" that he had completed his assignment and what was his next assignment. That would not have happened two months ago. He would have been rolling on the floor with a fit in a wave of hysteria with the cries of, "How dare I ask him to do that and what was he anyway, my slave?" That sounds kind of sassy though and he's never been sassy, but he would have been desperately in the depths of despair to do any sort of work.

So how did this happen?

First I made my plan. How were we going to clean this house, what work would we do and when? That was what I call the “spiritual creation” step.

Then I sat the kids down and explained the game plan. I told them that we would now be doing two hours of family work every morning together as a family. I explained to them what would be expected of them. That it was work time and not play time. Anyone caught outside fighting with their sticks or inside hiding under the ping pong table reading a book would get 5 minutes per infraction in the corner administered during free time. I also told them what the blessings and benefits would be if they submitted to our work schedule (see below). I call this marvelous principle the “teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves.” I rarely have problems with my kids when I do new things or take away toys. I've always explained why until they understand and then they just accept the new plans.

Then we went to work. Every morning with out fail we have worked for two hours. We've have deep cleaned this house inside and out. They are learning specific jobs and they are getting very good at them. Caleb can now successfully be turned loose on cleaning the toilets for example. We've also been doing a lot of food preparation. I've made a lot of bread with them and other provident living food items. They must always report back to me when they are finished with a job. We usually work in the same area so they are close. This phase is of course affectionately called,”working their little britches off. “


I must comment first on the problem we are having. We have run out of things to clean. Sure we can clean the toilets, dust, clean windows, etc but that only lasts so long when there are so many able bodies available reporting for duty. They are also getting quicker with their jobs (not to mention there is less grime they are removing because we are staying up on everything). I don't like doing meaningless things so I'm starting to struggle with what do to fill up the time. We've had a month long wind storm happening so we have only been able to work outside twice. I'm hoping though when it gets nice we will work a lot outside and we have more then enough projects on our newly acquired 80 acres.


One idea that I've come up with is that we will make mass food (casseroles?) and freeze it in small serving sizes and then on other days we will go visit the elderly. I think this will be a great opportunity. They can learn core principles of keeping their baptismal covenants and learning some cooking skills all at the same time. I think we will also do some more home industries as my friend suggested. I want to do meaningful things that are making them into better people.

Now to the best part. Those blessings. First off my kids have learned that they can work hard, have fun and still be happy. I've learned that I can have my kids work hard, have fun and still be happy. I think the latter lesson has been the most valuable.


Perhaps the most amazing thing I've found is that my kids think deeply when they work. They are asking profound questions. They ask me questions about the book we are reading, a question about current events or even a question they had when they were reading their scriptures. These questions have sparked an amazing journey of discovery for them as we discuss things that will build character for their whole lives. I see them thinking. I see them changing. I see them becoming.


As a mother I could ask for nothing more.

8 comments:

Becky Kent said...

I have the pefect solution to your problem of running out of work...Jared can come wash MY doors! ha ha

Celeste B. said...

I have not read the Headgates article, in fact I avoided it due to all the controversy it started on TJED Muse. LOL! Maybe I should break down and read it.

I have the same problem with finding new work to do. We moved to a MUCH smaller place with no yard (they even mow it for us, what there is of it). Not only that, it is brand new and has virtually NO dirt or grime. We are suffering from boredom-itis because we are used to a certain level of work in caring for our previous home, acreage, animals, etc.

So what is a family to do? My epiphany is to engage my children in more service. We do not have enough work to do here, so we can engage in working for others. There is a community garden that I am trying to get scheduled for volunteer work. I am also encouraging my 15 yr old daughter to volunteer at the animal shelter, since she misses her animals so much. Wish me luck!

Ranee said...

Thank you for sharing this! I have read Headgates and kept a copy of it and I LOVED it! I have also been trying to listen to talks from the 2010 Salt Lake TJEd Forum. I am learning a TON! Some day my kids will know how to clean anything and everything with a smile on their face and in record time! I just keep looking ahead to the future! :D)

Anonymous said...

I echo what Celeste mentioned. We are surrounded by neighbors that need help: an elderly man that is unable to do any yardwork, a 94 yr old widow that is still trying to plant her garden each year, a single woman that works out of town. I plan on using these great opportunities of service to help our family "work our little britches" off, too.

Misty said...

What wonderful ideas, and what an inspiring look into your work life.

I think it is wonderful to find those who are in need and lift them up with the extra time we find after closing those headgates!

Thanks so much.

Mrs.Smith said...

My best friend has done a lot with freezer meals, if you decide to go that route. Her site is hopelesslyharen.wordpress.com...

That said, thank you for explaining how you started this at your home. We've been working towards this change for a while now and haven't quite taken the plunge. :)

Jen said...

Deanna,

Can you tell me more about Head Gates? I have never heard of this and when I click on the link in your post it gives me an error page. Figuring out how to get my kids to do their chores without complaining has been a goal of mine for more than a decade. It isn't working.

Cassandra said...

How cool! Thank you so much for sharing how Family Work is implemented in your family.