Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Core Phase Thoughts

A true principle that I believe in is the concept of core phase. Call it whatever you would like. I believe we each start at a place where we must build a foundation. I believe that core phase is built on Jesus Christ. Right and wrong are learned. True and false are evaluated. The reality of good and bad are discovered. In this phase we learn values and principles that will be a rock upon which we can built the rest of our lives.

In our home we specifically focus on the truths found in The Family: A Proclamation to the World: "Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities." Once this core foundation is firmly established we can move on and learn more about life. I do not believe that we will ever be successful unless we have a base to stand firm on. We would be blown about with every wind of doctrine and we would fall.

One thought that I've been contemplating lately is how are we as adults doing with core phase? We may believe it's important for our children, but have we obtained a solid base to built everything on for ourselves?

It is my opinion that a great many moms and even more dads are still in core phase. This is in no way a judgment on the individual, but a reflection on our society. Most things in our society are aimed at keeping us in perpetual core phase. Just a thought. Something to ponder.

Keri Tibbetts gave an excellent description on how to know if your child (apply to yourself) is still in core phase. She said if they are in core phase they will use their free time to play. Remember core phase as been described as 50% work and 50% play. I know husbands all go to work and moms wash, clean, cook, and sew but what do they do when they are done?

Perhaps a wife who uses her fee time to shop, play Internet games, connect with every soul she's ever known on facebook, surf the Internet, read brain candy books, go out to lunch with her friends regularly is still in core phase. Perhaps a husband who comes home from work and plays the Wii, watches TV, knows the stats on every major league team, watches high action movies, rides dirt bikes regularly, shoots random animals, or plays computer games may be in core. These are just the some thoughts. (These things in and of themselves may not be bad, but it is the overindulgence that I'm speaking of).

"What" you may ask. "We work so hard. Can't we play a little to relax and unwind? We need to refill our bucket!" It is my personal belief that women will never fill their bucket if they are seeking outside sources like shopping or lunch dates to regain their "emotional strength." You will always be empty. Those activities will never satiate your soul.

Then what will? Immersing your self in core values. Reading your scriptures, praying to the one true God (who is not the Internet or the television). We must apply the principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities to find personal strength, to find a soul that is healthy, a life that is solid.

When you find yourself at peace and not reaching for quick-fix entertainment you will know you are building a solid core or sure foundation. Your free time will began to be "wholesome." You will do things as a family. You will choose to read a book. You will choose to serve your neighbor. You will choose to go on a walk and observe nature. You will choose to learn a new skill. You will choose to write something. You will choose to become something other than a robot that is that is addicted to computers, games, shopping or sports. We will be whole.

Perhaps our homes would thrive more if we has parents had some self-discipline and knew who we were and what our purpose was. Just some thoughts....

9 comments:

Mrs.Smith said...

Love your thoughts!

We can never have enough of what we don't need... because that sort of stuff keeps us from being whole, prevents that feeling of "I am and have enough," and ultimately keeps us farther away from God.

:)

Rebekah said...

Loved this post. Thank you for you thoughts and great example of not only using the TJ Ed model in our homeschooling but also in righteous living.

KarenB said...

Wonderful thoughts!
"Most things in our society are aimed at keeping us in perpetual core phase" - so true. It's funny too, because we have become so accustomed to them that people think you are a little nuts when you decide not to have them in your home. They are pretty ingrained.

Googs said...

Thanks for sharing this, it is so TRUE! I know I am trying hard to TRULY get out of core phase. Hopefully, it will reflect to my children my love of learning. Thanks!

Montserrat said...

I've been reading your blog for a little over a week now...hopping over form Lara's. I really agree with you about most adults still being in Core Phase. My husband cannot figure out why so many men waste time after 'work' instead of being with their families working on a project or reading together. As a bishop he's seen that lead to many harmful things in their lives.

It reminds of one of my favorite quotes from James E. Faust:

Work is another deterrent to evil. The symbol of Utah is the beehive. Our forefathers fostered industry and work. Elder John Longden, an assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, quoted Herndon as saying, “Satan selects his disciples when they are idle; Jesus selected his when they were busy at their work either mending their nets or casting them into the sea.” . . .I testify that there are forces which will save us from the ever-increasing lying, disorder, violence, chaos, destruction, misery, and deceit that are upon the earth. Those saving forces are the everlasting principles, covenants, and ordinances of the eternal gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. May we dedicate our lives to serving the Lord and not worry about offending the devil.” (James E. Faust, “Serving the Lord and Resisting the Devil,” Ensign, Sep 1995, 2)

Idaho Sutters said...

Thanks for the great thoughts chocolate! (and everyone else) : )

Misty said...

Wanted to just add that you put into words exactly how I have been feeling about so many grown men and women!

And, have you noticed that what we consider "play" as we get out of core phase changes so dramatically? I have found that I absolutely do not enjoy things I used to love. It is a wonderful journey.

Jessica said...

Thank you for sharing those thoughts. I am going to read it to my husband now. What an inspiration you are. Keep sharing:)

Cassandra said...

I wonder if that would put me in Core Phase... I spend most of my free time reading blogs on the internet (like I'm doing now) or reading books (some fluffy, some deep). I'm starting to spend my free time a little more productively, though. Last night I was wide awake at 10:30 (bad, I know) and I was quilting. Who quilts at 10:30 on a Saturday night? Me, apparently. ;)

My husband and I have had a lot of discussion about free time and what constitutes a good use of it. He's not sure that everything needs to be productive, that some down time playing on the Wii or surfing the internet is ok.

I haven't read the DeMilles book yet. Are they LDS? I'm finding myself reading a lot of LDS blogs and material though I myself am not LDS. I hope that's ok... :)