Friday, May 21, 2010

Our Weapons of Rebellion: Tool or Toy?

I have recently been pondering about weapons of rebellion. First off what are weapons of rebellion? A scripture gives us the answer, “For they became a righteous people; they did lay down the weapons of their rebellion, that they did not fight against God any more, neither against any of their brethren” (Alma 23:6-7). I don't know if the term "weapons of rebellion" is a universal term or just one that I've heard in my sphere.

I, of course, have lots! Too many! Ugh! But I'm trying to bury them all! I'm so grateful we have a life time to identify them and get them buried once and for all! So I've been thinking about weapons of rebellion. Here is some brainstorming thoughts I've come up with.

Through the years I've heard numerous talks and lessons (see this Gospel Doctrine Lesson specifically 1d) on how we need to lay down the weapons of rebellion in our life. A weapon of rebellion would be something that keeps us from giving our hearts to God. It keeps us from giving up our complete submission. A weapon of rebellion has kept me saying to myself, "God asks to much, I shouldn't be expected to truly give everything!"

That's kind of the point though. God does want me to give away everything. It's not to be mean, but it so he can give me a new heart without all my wrong ideas and past yuck. He says, "And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit with you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh." (Ezekiel 11:19)

I think I have lots of weapons of rebellion. But slowly by slowly I need to weed them out of my life so that I really can place everything on the alter. I believe that if I go to God in prayer He will tell me what is the one thing that is stopping me the most in my progression. He will help me to overcome it and master it. Then I will receive "further light and knowledge" and I can go on to the next thing. He will teach me how to bury it. For I must bury it like the Anti-Nephi-Lehis so that it will stay FAR away from me.

In all the talks I've heard they always use several examples like facial hair, white shirts and ties, and Mountain Dew as examples. Other examples might be our sleep, tanning, radio, other music, food, online games, books, vehicles, double earrings, Sunday football, other sports, PG-13/R-rated movies, cracking our knuckles, ways we break the Sabbath Day, etc. I think our weapons of rebellion can be anything that isn't inherently wrong and doesn't keep me out of the temple, but it's a questionable activity and deep down inside I know better. It's that thing that I will defend to the bitter end in order to justify the things that I do. That thing I won't admit to anybody that I need to stop but deep inside I know. That thing I boldly say, "Yeah, if Christ were here I'd still do this." Inside I squirm though because I know that's not really true.

Like I said, I have several. And I personally have multiple ones in the list above. Ugh! I am also in no way pointing fingers. I'm not checking people out on Sunday and thinking, "I can't believe they didn't wear nylons!" (Maybe I'm jealous though of people who can get away with not wearing nylons. My legs are so white we would all die of fright). I'm simply speaking in generalities and from the things I've heard in talks and instructions given to me when I've been a leader.

My weapons (some of them, I'm not going to reveal all my bad habits just yet!): Twilight books (I like them a little too much), I add hi-lights to my hair sometimes, I like sugar way to much (do you think it's a problem that I had pumpkin pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner today, nothing else, just pumpkin pie?), I like sleep way too much and I use it ("I'm tired") when I don't want to face things so then I can go take a nap, go to bed early or sleep in, I like to hide behind being an introvert, I use my opinions and thoughts that I've garnered from years of study to justify being a snot sometimes, and well, that's enough. That exposes me raw. I'd better take a nap now so I don't have to deal with the comments.

So how in the world are our weapons a rebellion a tool or a toy? A toy perhaps because I use them to play with and avoid doing what I should. But a tool. Yes, a tool I can use to turn to God and become closer to Him. Will I humble myself and allow my heart to be turned and then in turn receive the "more" that God has to offer me? Hopefully I can use my weapons has a tool to propel me to the great victory of supplicating myself on the alter and giving all. Even those things that are dumb and don't matter, but I keep doing it because it's my "rook card" I'm hiding to prove that no one has absolute control over me. Yeah, I have lots of rook cards. Forget the nap I'd better get to work!

Okay, did I do better about being more positive this time? I tried REALLY, REALLY hard!

7 comments:

KarenB said...

Thanks Deanna. You helped me ponder on some of my "rook cards". There are some things I feel rather "heroic" for giving up, but really they are not that hard for me, but there are things that I hang on to and reading a post like this makes me squirm a little and gain a greater resolve. Thanks for the inspiration and support (in knowing that even amazing people like you have some of these things they are working on ;-) ).

Lara said...

You highlight your hair? How shocking!!

I love the thought of giving up everything I want and serving the Lord. I just need to figure out how to do that. What does He want me to give up and what am I giving up just to feel self sacrificing? It's tricky.

Celeste B. said...

It was interesting that you mentioned nylons as Sabbath attire. Moving from the West to the Mid-west I have come across different ideas of what Sabbath attire includes. I wonder if some of our weapons of rebellion are more tolerated in some cultures than others. If we moved to Japan and attended church there...what are we doing that we feel is "fine" that they find "rebellious"?

In the Mid-West, I'm finding that women dress up for church FAR MORE than people in the West. Most of the women wear dress suits, nylons, and high heals. In the West, we saw flip-flops, jean skirts, and no nylons. So...which is correct? Is one form of worship better than another?

You have really got me thinking about personal and public virtue. Many of us KNOW exactly where we need to improve, but we may appear fine to everyone else. Thanks for an awesome post!

buzy bee said...

Thanks for the honesty! It's nice to hear that people you look up to are just people too :) Thanks for your words of wisdom

Montserrat said...

I've been a member all my life and never had a lesson where this scripture of weapons of rebellion was applied to my life in such a real way. So glad I came by to read this today. Gives me much food for thought, especially as I immediately thought of at least a dozen different weapons of rebellion that I am holding on to.

Thank you.

Mrs.Smith said...

Yes, you did a good job being more positive!
I think you did anyway. ;)
Great thoughts. Thanks!

St Harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.