Tuesday, December 30, 2008

12/30/08: Cousins

Today was a fun-filled cousin day! They played outside a lot among other things. They were disappointed at 5 when we (the moms) told them they couldn't have another slumber party tonight. We said you all need a break-we need a break! They were up late and up early and they were getting fried. But the memories will be sweet I think. We told them maybe Thursday or Friday night...

Olivia did get to ride horses though for several hours with Kristen (the other mom cousin) while I kept the non-horse riders at the house for the afternoon.

I read 100 pages in my George Washington biography. We read lots of stories tonight. We are still trying to agree on a chapter book to read at night now that we finished the Fablehaven series. Olivia wants to read Little Britches again and Jared wants to finish the Narnia books (we have two left), Luke doesn't care and Caleb wants to read all the Junior Illustrated Classics we have starting with Kidnapped. They were so fried that they weren't logical so I just read a bunch of picture books. Maybe we can come to a compromise soon.

Olivia has been playing Stratego with Alex the last couple of days and really likes that.

3 comments:

Karies place said...

Sounds like they had fun. My kids love to read. My 2 girls read together at night picture books for my 5dd. My 12 dd reads to her. It's very sweet.

Celeste B. said...

What a fun day! We have been sick around here and not having much fun, but plenty of down time...which can be a blessing too.

We can never decide on the same books either. We alternate between each child choosing. That makes it fair I guess.

Becca said...

I don't actually make artichoke dip, I make this dip to dip my artichoke leaves into. I boil the artichoke on high for about 45 min- 1 hour to get it really tender. Then I pull off the leaves and dip into the dip and scrape off the "meat" with my teeth. The heart is the best, I just pile the dip on top of it! The best part is the dip though. I made it up and it is like this: (I am guessing at the exact measurements)

1 block of cream cheese softened
2 tsp of minced garlic
1 lbs of italian seasoning
1 tbs of butter
1/3 cup of sour cream
heat until smooth and stir well
I also sometimes add mushroom bits, bacon bits, grated cheese, whatever sounds good! I love to experiment! If you run across any good artichoke recipes, let me know!

As for the books and reading,

I am finding that we have so many books of interest, that the kids and I are having a hard time finihing any of them! We keep starting new better ones! And, as a finisher (personality trait), I hate this! Working on it too.