Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Rhythm Poem

When I was in 5th grade my teacher taught me this poem. I have always remembered parts of it. Since our family moved back to my hometown I am now good friends with my 5th grade teacher. I asked her for this poem and she obliged me. I also had her teach this to "my young women" for an activity we had that had to do with Choice and Accountability. I have since taught it to my children. We clap it out. I don't know who wrote this poem. This is the poem as I have it....

Rhythm Poem
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Be choosy * * When you choose a choice
Be decisive when deciding a decision * * *
Don't be like mannequins and ladyquins * *
Letting others put you in to positions * * *
Don't be like a puppet on a string
Letting others make you do the things you do.
Controlling every action to their satisfaction
And speaking every single word for you.
Don't go through like a sha dow
Following someone everywhere he goes
Never moving independently
And letting others * step on your toes.
Don't be like a mirror on the wall
A copycat, a polished imitator
Reflecting everything that passes by
A duplicator, an impersonator
Think for yourself! Be a leader!
The product of your own composition.
Be choosy! When you choose a choice
Be decisive when deciding a decision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh so glad to find this rhythm poem again!
Back in the '60's our 'Mutual Improvment Association' Beehives,MiaMaids,and Laurels learned this. Kind of a precursor to a 'Rap' heh heh heh.