Monday, May 3, 2010

Our Bookshelf

We've gone over and over our bookshelf. What are the best books for our family? In the past we had an abundance of good, better, and best books. Now we don't. I've only kept the books I would absolutely want if I was suddenly not able to ever go to the library again. I've read a great many 'classics' it seems and while they are good, I don't think they are great and need to be on my bookshelf. We can check out all the Magic Tree House books we want at the library. I don't need to keep them in our home though. I don't want to dust them. I don't want to rearrange them. I don't want to move them. Frankly I don't want to look at them. So observe the picture below to see what is left. The bottom binders are their genealogy books. To left of the binders are the picture books that are left. They are mostly fairy tales. We have some blocks on there that I'm getting rid of. Waste. They don't play with them. Why do I have them? The bookshelf is messy. But they look at it and pick up the books.


Some of the books that we choose to keep as the best are Lord of the Rings, Work and the Glory, Narnia, Johnny Tremaine, Little House on the Prairie series, A Wrinkle in Time series, and Little Britches.

Now to my classic shelf. It's pretty small huh? (We have a small assortment of our 'best' theology books on another bookshelf). Our daughter as about 20 books in her room that are all adult classics. Pretty slim pickings. Guess what though? We aren't overwhelmed with our books any more and we actually want to sit down and read them. Isn't that something? Who would have thought? All in all we ended up giving up 75% of our books. It's a beautiful thing.


NOTE: If you are looking into getting the McGuffy Readers do not bother getting anything but the primer book. Once your child learns to read they will no longer want to read a McGuffy Reader. Just a thought. I know you were wondering.

3 comments:

Misty said...

I completely agree about the McGuffey Reader!

We have done the same thing at our home...we now have space for the best of the best books.

Some fun books we choose to keep were: Fairy Realm series (it's a favorite among our girls), Ordinary Princess, and Thornton Burgess books.

Not all books are created equal, huh? :)

It's nice to see someone else doing this...my kids love that they are not the only ones!

Idaho Sutters said...

We will have to look into those books. They sound like they must be great. Thanks for the recommendations. : )

Lara said...

That is so cool. We got rid of four huge boxes of books after my children went through them but now I need to go through them myself and get rid of more.